This is a recipe I got from a lady a few years ago and have adapted to my taste. I use 2 cups of unrefined brown sugar and 1 cup of white sugar. However, I'm copying her recipe exactly like she gave it to me.
5 1/2 lbs. apples, peeled and finely chopped (I use 3-4 different types of apples)
4 cups of sugar (I use 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of splenda, because I do not like it overly sweet)
2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place apples in a very large bowl
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour over apples and mix well.
- Place in crock pot and cook on high for 1 hour
- Decrease heat and cook on low 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown, stirring occasionly
- Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer
- If desired whisk until smooth
- Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch head space and cover and freeze. (Here I put mine in jars and give as gifts. I don't think you need to freeze it as long as the apple butter is not kept for years and years. I keep the jam I'm eating in the fridge anyway).