Sunday 11 November 2012

Read My Owl

Yesterday was the day of our monthly lunch with those friends we don’t see as often as we used to or those who choose not to go in for our weekly Chinese dinner.  I live just right around the corner from the small Spanish bar and restaurant we’ve been going to since I’ve lived in Spain. The place has changed hands a couple of times, but the family who own it now are friends of ours. At least we’re on a first name basis. The restaurant was closed probably because Friday was a holiday. I hadn’t even thought of stopping by to ask them if they were going to open. The next time I will, because this isn’t the first time they’ve taken a long weekend, not that I’m complaining. Anyway, we ended up in a restaurant near the main street. I wasn’t impressed with what I asked for, which was way too greasy; the salad had lots of shrimp and both my friend Cathy and I are allergic to seafood. To make a long story short, I came home still hungry and we paid double what we would normally pay. To make matters worse, this morning I woke up with a big zit on my forehead just like a teenager!

I thought this owl picture that one of my friends posted on facebook was very appropriate for what I’m thankful for today and this week. I’m glad the elections in the States are over with. There was too much bickering, blocking and gloating going on for my taste on sites like facebook. As I commented on Terri’s blog, I stay clear of topics such as religion and politics for the simple reason that people can be so irrational when it comes to these things. I didn’t actually mention religion, but I don’t discuss it either. The block button is certainly useful, but not for blocking someone who doesn’t share your point of view. I’ll  continue respecting everyone’s right to an opinion even when I don’t agree. It doesn’t mean they’re stupid or whatever label they could be given.

Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it is just around the corner. Hope everyone enjoys a good pre-Thanksgiving week.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad about the restaurant ruining your celebration with friends, and also too bad about the zit! I hate when that happens. You would think we would be done with acne! Politics and religion do bring the worst out in people. I agree with you! Wishing you a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Brenda that is a bummer about your lunch and zit! Hopefully, next month's lunch will go much better!

    I couldn't agree with you more about not talking about politics. I also wish for the days that it was respectful to keep your political opinions to yourself and let your voice be heard in the voting booth. I want to scream to people that you are not going to change anyone's mind about who they are going to vote for. The pictures, the cartoons, the status updates, the liking of a political page..is just cramming your opinion down people's throats. I'm so glad it is over! Have a wonderful week, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh too bad about the experience at your lunch with the food .
    I feel like what Kris said in her comment about the politics. I've seen enough political cartoons and videos (which I didn't watch) on people's pages. I think it's OK to express an opinion I just wish people had more respect for other's differences and so many of the posts seem really ugly..I'm glad it's over too unfortunately there's some after the election things that I just want to hit a block button on.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete