Sunday 21 October 2012

Blank Screen

On Wednesday evening my kindle suddenly became unresponsive, and two thoughts went through my head immediately: now what am I going to readand I'll have to phone tech support. I try everything before I call tech support. In the end I was able to re-set it though I have no idea what I did to cause it to freeze. I was just going to write a review of a book that I'd just finished. Anyway, if you ever have this problem, maybe I can help.

Reading has been something that I've enjoyed since my first day of school in the first grade. My teacher used to let me help the second graders with their reading in the little country school I started out in. Being the eldest, I was supposed to look after my younger brothers and sister while our mother did the chores before supper. My brother James always loved to eat strange things like the burnt head of a match, and he had a piece of coal that he hid behind the fridge so no one would steal it (as if we would!) that he nibbled on. One afternoon while I was reading instead of paying attention to James, he went out into the 'smokehouse' where the hams were cured and came back to the house eating what I thought was poison! Dad had to put down poison for the mice, of course. My poor mother was so frightened as I was too. She tried to get him to vomit by feeding him raw egg, shortening anything she could think of and nothing. James was the only one of us who would take cod liver oil willingly. For James's sake and ours we discovered my mistake. He'd been eating ashes! I 'd like to say I never read again while looking after them, but that's just not true.

BTW, I've changed the title of my blog slightly. One of my multiply friends is very interested in the origin of English expressions and his post the other day was 'third time lucky'. Unfortunately, he avoids anything that has to do with google, so we won't see him here. And tomorrow I'll be writing my last post on multiply which I'll also post here.  

5 comments:

  1. My Kindle has reset itself a few times, and it makes me crazy, because I have to find where my last page was in whatever book I'm reading at the time. I am actually getting a new Nexus 7 tablet, and will be reading my books on it going forward. I'm looking forward to a better reading experience. I like your new Blog title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to get a kindle sometime. My son has one and enjoys it a lot. I do really enjoy the feeling of a book and even the smell of books . There's nothing like a new book or an old favorite but I can see lots of advantages to kindle.

    Wow! Must of been scary when your brother ate something in your growing up days that appeared may have been poison YIKES ! Good thing it wasn't but today it's a story to tell. Glad it ended out good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get your Kindle up and running before having to call tech support! I found your story about your brother to be so interesting! Does he still have strange taste cravings? I love to read too! I love all kinds off boos..classic, romance, mysteries, biographies, fantasy..you name it and I will read it. My all time favorite book is Pride and Prejudice. I think it has to be the most romantic book ever written. I love the new name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still with books of the paper kind.............but I have thought about a Kindle, I think I would quite like one but I am so very attached to 'real' books. There is something about books that is very special.
    Its a dilemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, but I can have (and carry around with me) so many more books. My Kindle has already paid for itself countless times thanks to authors' willingness to give their books away. I now have more favourite authors like Ken McClure, whose books are always set in Scotland, and Chris Smith.

    ReplyDelete