Sunday 30 December 2012

Corn Bread Christmas

I've finally decided on the menu for New Year's Eve, and have decided to go light and easy. I'm going to make a chicken stir-fry with lots of veggies and rice. I'm never that hungry. and I need to use my wok more. If I make a one-dish dinner, then I won't have to rush around getting the dessert made, and, just maybe, I won't knock out the electricity because I'm using too many things at the same time.

Besides not preparing too much, I'll also save on the clean up. It seems I've spent way too much time in the kitchen these days. I want more time to be able to read on my Kindle. At the moment, I'm reading a murder mystery that takes place in a dog park in Cincinnati and the detective in it is from Kentucky. The author doesn't mention the name of the dog park, but does mention places I know.

My photo is from a cornbread mix that I made and gave a a jar of the mix to one of my friends as a Christmas gift. I think I mentioned, at least on facebook, that I was making a lot of the gifts that I was giving, which accounted for the long hours in the kitchen. I'm going to start posting some recipes on my recipe page. At the moment I've only posted a recipe for crock pot apple butter - delicious though. As for Christmas gifts, one of my favourites was from IKEA - one which I didn't have to put together. I got a perfect-sized plastic cutting board, which I'll probably use more than my fancy wooden one. The advantage of the wooden cutting board is I can put hot things on it.

Hoping everyone had a good Christmas and hoping 2013 is better than has been predicted. Happy New Year!   

5 comments:

  1. Brenda, the corn bread looks delicious! Makes me want some - may have to turn the oven on! Your stir-fry sounds good, too. We plan to go out for Chinese for dinner tomorrow evening, after church. I have pork, kraut and black-eyed peas for New Year's Day...for good luck (so 'they' say). Hope the weather is behaving for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be having lentils on New Year's Day for sure!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Brenda! Your corn bread looks so yummy! My mom made a big pot of bean soup and corn bread to go with it. I took pictures and wrote down her recipe. She has been making this recipe since she was a little girl and it dawned on me that I didn't have her recipe! LOL. Wishing you much happiness and good health for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister gave me photos and other things my mother had saved. Among the things were instructions for looking after the beans while she was working in the fields near the house. I suppose I was about 10 then. BTW, today is my mother's birthday. She was and is still much loved.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Brenda, enjoy the celebrations and may the new year bring you every thing you want.

    ReplyDelete