Sunday 30 June 2013

My Summer To Do List

I'm not as talented as some people, but I do like to be creative. Some of you may have seen this photo or a similar one on my page on multiply. One of my friends had bought two antique chairs which were in very good condition at an auction. Shortly before I'd seen a tutorial on how to make decorative round cushions, and, when I saw these chairs, I thought they needed some 'dressing up'. To make the decorative cushion is very easy if you have a round cushion, which I didn't and didn't find any in the shops around, so I made my own. Then you take a largish piece of material (my pieces were square) and gather it round the cushion like a bag that you're going to close, tie it with a rubber band and cut off the excess material so that it looks like a pretty flower (more or less).  The rickrack (think it's called) was her idea, which I like a lot. I'm going to try to make a couple for one of my sisters from some material she gave me last summer. She loves green and hers will be green. I'm going to try and add some lace or something. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate them. These cushions are really pretty if you use shiny material.

Yesterday I arrived home exhausted. Some of you may know that I worked in a language school, one that was well-known, until it closed in 2004. Some of the workers wanted to continue. With the money, we got from the sale of the only building we had left, they used the money they got to continue with a slightly different name and in a rented building. Now the person who was the Head of Studies and one other shareholder have decided they want to close. My friend Chris definitely wants to continue and has found people who are interested in re-starting the business with her. She's one of those people who have lots of useful contacts. Anyway, I was helping to pack up material, take down propaganda, etc. What I will never understand is why if these two people want to leave, why don't they just do that. I know they're hoping to get some money out of it. However, other people who went in as shareholders and who no longer work there didn't get any money for leaving. People are so selfish, only thinking of their own personal gains! I'll have a busy week but will help as much as possible. Please if you pray, add my friends to your list. They're also ex-colleagues which means something to me. Chris is a very positive person and she works hard.

Have a good week everyone. Happy 4th of July whenever you celebrate it if you do.

 

5 comments:

  1. Brenda, the pillows are such a cute idea, and I do remember seeing your early creations, over on the now defunct Multiply. The ric-rac and/or lace really makes them pop. I'm sure your sister will love the ones you make for her.

    Your friends have been added to my prayer list. I hope (and pray) that it all works out okay for them. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a simple creative way to cover a round cushion-love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you post this on Facebook and I think it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you and your friends manage to keep the business going, and you are right.........far too many selfish people who care only about money. The cusion is very original, I've never seen one like that before, it looks good on the plain blue chair so well done you :-)

    ReplyDelete