Sunday 19 July 2015

A Little White Lie

Last week I promised to let you know if scrunching up newspaper and placing it in a smelly plastic container would get rid of those horrible smells. Well... it did somewhat, but not completely. At least the newspaper smelled like the plastic after a couple of days. I added vinegar and let the container sit for a while before washing it again. In the end, I put some food scraps in it and threw it away. So that's my white lie! I didn't try anything else and just threw it away.

You never know if something is going to work until you try it. Here's one that I know works. It's one I forgot to mention last week since I was obsessed with the plastic container. To view your photos on Google +, it's not necessary to go to your Google page. Type in https://photos.google.com and it takes you directly to your photos. My friend Terri shared some hacks on facebook the other day, and one of them was storing a tub of cottage cheese upside down in the fridge to keep it longer. I said that wouldn't be useful for me, because I could eat the whole tub in one sitting. I love cottage cheese that much. It's something that I've loved since I was little, and it's something whose taste or size hasn't changed.
Yesterday was one of the best days we've had this summer. I went out at a time that I don't usually if I can help it. You know what they say about mad dogs and Englishmen. I had looked up the times and places that the Town Council comes around to collect items like used or old oil, used printer cartridges, mobile phones, etc. I saw that they would be at the bullring on Tuesday between 1.30 and 3 pm and a few more places within walking distance. One of the places was on the corner of a park near my house - the one that Zara and I used to go to. Okay I was looking at a PDF file, but it said the van would be there between 12.00 and 1.30, so I went out at about 12.30. I saw nothing that looked like a van where I could leave what I'd chosen to get rid of. According to the file, they didn't operate in August, but it's still July, isn't it? This is the photo I took last night at about 9.30 pm when I went out to throw away some more paper. It was the first time we'd seen clouds for quite a while. You could tell the weather was nice because all the benches were occupied, and the outdoor cafés were full.

Speaking of outdoor cafés, I suppose I'll meet up with friends Chris and Cathy tomorrow at the one round the corner since they've installed a cooling system. I don't know if you have this system in your outdoor cafés. A lot of the bars and restaurants here have installed them where a mist of cool water shoots out and brings down the temperature. Then in the winter the bars have heaters for those who want to sit out, especially smokers.

Enough for this week. Hope everyone has had a good weekend and a good new week ahead.

 
 

3 comments:

  1. I've been eating a lot of cottage cheese lately because there are fewer carbs in it than in yogurt. This weekend I've been eating it with blackberries! SO good! Sorry you had to throw out your plastic container. I keep inexpensive ones, so I can give them away with leftovers, or just toss them when they get stained or nasty. Wishing you a good week, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda :-), I'm sat here wondering how on earth storing any thing upside down could make it last longer?? .... its still the same stuff I can't imagine what difference it would make which way up you store it. I'm going to have to give it a try and find out. I'm kinda hoping it doesn't work, because if it does, I'll have to think about it until I understand the reason it works :-).... you are lucky to be getting summer, its still raining here. I think summer in Scotland was cancelled this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could share, Loretta. So many days with 40º C temperatures is too much, but there's not a lot we can do with the weather.

      Delete