Sunday 10 May 2015

And They're Off!

I'm not talking about the Kentucky Derby or any horse race really, but the San Isidro bullfights which began on Friday and will take place every day in Madrid until 7th of June. Great for the bars and restaurants and maybe the food markets in the area and not so great, actually quite annoying, for those of us who live near the bullring.

 Last night the 'bulls', as some of us call them, were outside in the street shouting and booing until 2 a.m. As I live next door and across the street from two places they frequent, I couldn't really sleep until then. Hope they go to bed earlier tonight. Like I said, these events are good for those offering food and especially drink. These places make their 'August' as we say, meaning they make more than enough money not to open in August, which is a popular month for going away. Even though there's a good chance they'll be fined, some places put out more tables and chairs than are allowed.

There are more 'offs' for this week that we're finishing. Take a look at this van that went sailing over a roof in a town near Madrid. It's not a good photo since it's one that I quickly captured from the TV. The driver was parking on a hill where his family say he always parks when suddenly the brakes failed and he went flying. His family also insist he wasn't drinking. He was critically injured, but I suppose will be okay.
What must be considered 'ons' are a couple of strikes. Tomorrow a rubbish strike begins in Madrid just in time for the too warm temperatures that we'll be having the rest of this week. Fortunately they've agreed to pick up the rubbish 4 days a week (the recyclables 2 days), so hopefully it won't get too smelly. When the piles get so big, people get angry and start burning them which is dangerous too. Then there are people who don't need an excuse to burn something. The other strike is in Spanish football (soccer) starting on Saturday. Poor football fans!

For me this is a definite 'off'. I stayed home on Friday, because I wasn't feeling well. I suppose I ate something that didn't agree with me. I spent most of the day in bed, and then yesterday didn't go to our monthly get together, because I still didn't want to eat. I'm eating now, but trying not to overdo it.

My last 'off'' is the weather. It has got hot much too early. Today we're getting hot air from Africa. I saw that we have a predicted high of 100ยบ F for Wednesday. Wish I hadn't seen that! We have sunglasses and sunscreen weather that's for sure. Saint Isidro is one of our patron saints, and he always sends us a bit of rain on his day which is this Friday. We haven't had any rain on the 15th for the last couple of years and looks like none for this holiday either.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers who are celebrating today. Our Mother's Day was last Sunday. Hope everyone is enjoying a lovely day and hope you have a good week. 

 


7 comments:

  1. Oh how I hate the thought of Bull fighting. It worries me so much it even puts me off spending time in Spain during Bull Fighting season. I don't suppose there is any thing any one can do about it, it's very popular there, but it still gives me shudders just thinking about it. I guess you have been there so long you are used to it but I really see how the noise and disruption is not good for ordinary residents. hope you get some good sleep soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like bullfights either. BTW, they've been banned in Barcelona.

      Delete
    2. I don't think I would like bulls running around in the streets-seem dangerous too

      Delete
    3. Unless one escapes, the bulls are confined to the bullring, Kathy.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, so much going on and how awful that the noise levels keep you awake until the wee hours! Bull fighting is like the rodeos here...brutal and violent and inhumane. Hope you get some cooling rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..I didn't know that the bull fighting went on that long! I thought it was only one day or one weekend at the most. I'm sorry you have to deal with all the noise! Sounds like you are in for a heatwave of sorts. We have been having rain showers the last couple of days. I'm looking forward to the sun returning! Have a wonderful week, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete